Friday, January 28, 2011

The most innocent games can stir up the biggest issues.

Today has been a long day... And it's not even close to being over. Maybe I could blame my exhaustion on Zumba class last night, but I didn't really work that hard. (Shame, shame) Truthfully, it was the fact I just couldn't fall asleep. You see, for the last 11 days, I have joined the masses and begun the 30 day photo challenge on Facebook. Up until yesterday, the "assignments" have been quite nonsensical; person you've known the longest, something you did on a particular night, etc. Day 11, on the other hand, really made me think. The topic was to post a picture of something you hate. Well, there are so many things I strongly dislike, but hate... Well, I reserve that term for the lowest and most loathful things in my life. While I'm sure most people just randomly picked something, such as liver or rainy days, I always tend to overthink everything I do. (Yes, I am one of those nerds!) I wracked my brain all day. What was the one thing I truly hated with a fiery passion. Finally, while lying in bed, the answer appeared. I hate discrimination, bigotry and narrowmindedness. I am, and always have been, a firm believer that each person has the right to live their life how they choose. As long as they are not harming anyone else, who cares?! It has always irked me to see the hatred people have for others who are different or make controversial life choices. Perfect example is that, in this day and age, we are fighting to allow gay men and women to marry the people they love. To let them fight (possibly even sacrifice their lives) for their country. The same country that limits their personal rights!
I find it appalling that people stand outside clinics and harrass people who are making, quite possibly, the hardest decision of their lives. (And, yes, I just went there.) Could I ever, under any circumstances, do that? No. But, just because I couldn't, does not mean I would stand out there with a sign calling young women murderers.
Why can't we, as a population, learn to live and let live? Allow people to be whom they want, or need, to be? Why do we continuously find a group of people to hate?
All I know is that, someday, when my husband and I have children, I hope that the world will be more accepting then it is today. It has come a long way, but it has an even longer way to go... So, with that, I will leave you with one of my favorite quotes:
"Bigotry or prejudice in any form is more than a problem; it is a deep-seeded evil within our society."

No comments:

Post a Comment